In celebration of several Oscar noms for the film Joker, Showcase Cinemas has announced a free screening of the movie at their Bronx location this coming Sunday. From Smartypants Tech Report:
In a three-way celebration, Showcase Cinemas has announced that it will host a free screening of the Warner Bros.’ film Joker at its Concourse Plaza Multiplex Cinemas in the Bronx on Sunday, January 19 at 4 p.m. ET. Coincidentally (or not) the 19th is also National Popcorn Day.
The free screening celebrates the film’s Oscar nominations, National Popcorn Day, and its local neighborhood tie, as the heralded “Joker Stairs” scene was filmed a few blocks from the theater’s Bronx location.
You can see the full nomination list on the Oscars web site here.
Some of the top films this year were adapted from books. Here are the nominations for best adapted screenplays:
Adapted screenplay nominees:
- THE IRISHMAN based on the 2004 book, I Heard You Paint Houses by Charles Brandt
Screenplay by Steven Zaillian
- JOJO RABBIT based on the 2004 book Caging Skies Christine Leunens
Screenplay by Taika Waititi
- JOKER based on DC Comics characters
Written by Todd Phillips & Scott Silver
- LITTLE WOMEN based on the 1868 book by Louisa May Alcott
Written for the screen by Greta Gerwig
- THE TWO POPES based on a 2017 play by Anthony McCarten
Written by Anthony McCarten
The 92nd Oscars will be held on Sunday, February 9, 2020, at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center.