In only the second year since the prize has been open to writers of any nationality, the Man Booker shortlist, 2015, includes authors from the United States, Jamaica and Nigeria, as well as the United Kingdom.
The judges remarked on the variety of writing styles, cultural heritage and literary backgrounds of the writers on the shortlist, which includes new authors alongside established names.
The 2015 Man Booker Prize will be awarded on October 13th at a black-tie dinner in London’s Guildhall. The winner of the Man Booker Prize receives £50,000 (about $75,000 US) and, like all the shortlisted authors, a cheque for £2,500 and a designer bound copy of their book.
The 2015 Man Booker Shortlist:
- Marlon James (Jamaica), A Brief History of Seven Killings (Oneworld Publications)
- Tom McCarthy (UK), Satin Island (Jonathan Cape)
- Chigozie Obioma (Nigeria), The Fishermen (ONE, Pushkin Press)
- Sunjeev Sahota (UK), The Year of the Runaways (Picador)
- Anne Tyler (US), A Spool of Blue Thread (Chatto & Windus)
- Hanya Yanagihara (US), A Little Life (Picador)