The Quick and Easy Japanese Cookbook
by Katsuyo Kobayashi
Published by Kodansha International
104 pages, 2000
from The Quick and Easy Japanese Cookbook by Katsuyo Kobayashi
14 oz (400 g) ground beef
1. Season the beef with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Chop the onion very fine and sauté in a little oil until transparent. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine egg and milk and mix, then add breadcrumbs and mix briefly. Set aside to allow flavors to combine.
4. Add the onion mixture and the breadcrumb mixture to the beef. Mix lightly by squeezing the meat 2 or 3 times with your hands.
5. Dab a little oil on your palms and divide the meat into four portions. Toss each portion from one hand to the other, as if you were playing catch, to remove any excess air. Shape into 4 hamburgers, indenting the middle of each with your thumb.
6. Heat a little oil in a fry pan and sauté hamburgers over medium heat until nicely browned on one side. Turn and brown the other side.
7. Add enough boiling water to the pan to half-cover hamburgers. Cover the pan and simmer over medium-high heat until hamburgers are cooked through. Remove the lid, lower heat to medium, and continue cooking until all the liquid has evaporated. Place on individual plates and set aside.
8. To make the sauce, add water, ketchup, sake, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and butter to the same pan, and bring to a boil. Simmer until slightly thickened and ladle the sauce over the hamburgers. Serve with your favorite vegetables.
30 minutes preparation and cooking time
416 calories per serving